Shallow Graves by Kali Wallace


Shallow Graves
Kali Wallace
$17.99
(imprint) Harper Collins
 

Let me say this first before I get into the actual review for this book – I loved it. Loved. Loved. Loved it. The constant creepy feeling I had whilst devouring the pages of this book was something I haven’t experienced from a YA book in a long time and it was an awesome feeling.

A girl wakes up in a dirt filled shallow grave one year after she was murdered. She quickly finds that she is a walking, semi- breathing thing that can sense those who have taken lives and she feels the intense urge to punish them. What quickly unfolds is this terrifying world of monsters, witches and magicians – can Breezy, our 17 year old “monster” find out just who brought her back and why? Can the mysterious “Mother” help her or is she just another monster who wants her gifts for her own? When everything seems against her, she discovers a strength and resilience she didn’t know existed and maybe she didn’t have before she died.

The authors writing was quite lyrical in parts, which I was pleasantly surprised with.

This bloody and sometimes gruesome YA horror novel was written with the intention of being a standalone novel, but it leaves so many unanswered questions. I want to know more. I want to know who the magician was that woke her. I want to know why she is “perfect” and what his plans were for her before she mercilessly killed him. I want to dive into this magician’s dark world and see what other nasties are out there! In saying that, the ending was also perfect in its own sense. Simplistic with infinite possibilities. 


Comments

Popular Posts